Semi-Frameless shower screens are shower screens that are surrounded by an external aluminium frame, while having the internal parts of the shower screen frameless. This can be viewed as a classic combination between a framed and frameless shower screen to suit a variety of needs for the modern bathroom.
What parts make up a semi-frameless shower screens?
Semi-frameless shower screens are made up of a combination of the following; aluminium frames, pivot hinges, and glass.
The glass in our semi-frameless shower screens is 6mm Toughened Safety Glass. 6mm Toughened safety glass means the glass is 6mm thick and has undergone the toughening process. Toughened glass is float glass that has been processed via toughening (as the name suggests, it makes the glass ‘tougher’). The toughening process is where the glass is heated and cooled in such a way that it results in the glass being 4-5 times stronger than the regular annealed (float glass) of the same thickness. This type of glass is considered Grade A Safety Glass according to the Australian Glass and Glazing Standards, AS1288. This glass is more impact resistant than float glass, however, it is not resistant to breaking if impacted significantly enough. If this glass is impacted to where it breaks, it is designed to shatter into tiny cuboid pieces to minimise the risk of injury to people.
Due to the internal parts of the semi- frameless shower screen being frameless, they need to be designed in such a way that there are small gaps between the glass panels. Glass cannot butt up against other glass panels, especially in a shower screen where doors need to move to open and closed. If the glass was up against other glass panels the likelihood of breakage increases. These gaps allow for optimal functioning and reduced risk of breakage.
Colour options of Glass for your shower screen
Clear glass is not the only option for your semi-frameless shower screen, although it tends to be the most common. You can essentially choose glass colours such as acid etched, grey or bronze provided that it meets the safety glass standards required to be installed in semi-frameless shower screens. If this is an option that you would be interested in, samples can be provided during the measure and quote.
Our Semi-frameless shower screen colour options include, but are not limited to;
- White; which is a traditional colour option that looks elegant, clean and crisp, especially in a bathroom where the fittings are white and match nicely
- Silver; which is modern, sophisticated and bright, very suitable in a bathroom with silver fittings and fixtures
- Black; which is super modern and fast becoming one of the more popular colours recently
- The vast variety of colours can be explored on our guide to bath and shower screens section on our website https://hainesglass.com.au/a-guide-to-bath-and-shower-screens/
Pros & Cons of Semi-frameless Shower Screens
- Custom made to the dimensions of your bathroom (both frames and glass)
- Made with strong and sturdy aluminium framing
- Grade A Safety Toughened glass to ensure upmost safety to your family
- Gives you a wide open space feel and seamless look to your bathroom
- Great Function
- Mitred corners that come to a nice finish and have no need for plastic caps which often fall off during cleaning and deteriorate over time
- 3mm clearance under the door
- Low maintenance and easy to clean
- Variety of colour options
- Mid-range pricing of the shower screen options (more expensive than framed and less expensive compared to frameless)
- If the glass breaks it is designed to shatter and the glass is difficult to clean
- Small gaps in the glass panels may result in some minimal water leakage
- No harsh chemicals are to be used on the shower screens or glass – recommended to just use vinegar and water
Knowing this information can certainly help when deciding on which shower screen you would like to choose, or which shower screen is going to be best to meet your needs. To ensure you are well informed please read up the other blog posts on the various types of shower screens on our website or give us a call for any questions you may have on 42617295.