Frameless shower screens are shower screens that are comprised mostly of glass panels. Frameless shower screens include shower screens which are fully enclosed, as well as singular glass panels that are free standing. Frameless shower screens are very modern, elegant and give the illusion of more space within your bathroom.
What parts make up a Frameless shower screens?
Frameless shower screens are made up of a combination of the following; glass panels, pivot hinges, and/or wall channel or brackets. The glass is the largest component and the other pieces hold together those glass panels to enclose the shower screen. Silicone is used to secure the glass to the floor and seal it correctly.
Glass in Frameless shower screens
The glass in our Frameless shower screens is 10mm Toughened Safety Glass. 10mm Toughened safety glass means the glass is 10mm thick and has undergone the toughening process. This ensure structural strength and safety, which is paramount in your bathroom. Toughened glass is float glass that has been processed via toughening (as the name suggests, it makes the glass ‘tougher’). The toughening process is where the glass is heated and cooled in such a way that it results in the glass being 4-5 times stronger than the regular annealed (float glass) of the same thickness. This type of glass is considered Grade A Safety Glass according to the Australian Glass and Glazing Standards, AS1288. This glass is more impact resistant than float glass, however, it is not resistant to breaking if impacted significantly enough. If this glass is impacted to where it breaks, it is designed to shatter into tiny cuboid pieces to minimise the risk of injury to people.
Frameless shower screens are designed in such a way that there are small gaps between the glass panels. Glass cannot butt up against other glass panels, especially in a shower screen where doors need to move to open and close. If the glass was up against other glass panels the likelihood of breakage increases. These gaps allow for optimal functioning and reduced risk of breakage. Having these small gaps in the glass can result in some small water leakage onto your bathroom floor. Brackets and hinges hold all of the pieces of glass together to enclose the shower screen.
Colour of Glass
Clear glass is not the only option for your shower screen, however, when selecting a frameless shower screen, most people are looking at achieving the aesthetics of an open bathroom. Clear glass is the best option for this, however, a frameless shower screen in a different type of glass that meets the safety standards can still be used.
Shower screen fittings
- Brackets and hinges often come in black and silver, which are our two most popular colours
- If choosing a frameless panel you also have the option of a wall channel in black or silver, or the options of brackets in the same colour that can be attached to the wall
- If selecting a frameless shower panel, you may also like to select the optional extra of a stabiliser bar which attaches at the top of the shower screen for added stability.
Pros & Cons of Frameless Shower Screens
• Custom made to the dimensions of your bathroom (we do not use any pre-fabricated panels)
• Grade A Safety Toughened glass, 10mm thick to ensure upmost safety to your family
• Gives you a wide open space feel and seamless look to your bathroom
• Great Function
• Low maintenance and easy to clean
• This is our premium shower screen and the investment is of matching price. To see our price guide go to https://hainesglass.com.au/how-much-does-a-shower-screen-cost/#
- If the glass breaks it is designed to shatter and the glass is difficult to pick up
- Small gaps in the glass panels may result in some minimal water leakage
- No harsh chemicals are to be used on the shower screens or glass – recommended to just use vinegar and water
Knowing this information can certainly help when deciding on which shower screen you would like to choose, or which shower screen is going to be best to meet your needs. To ensure you are well informed please read up the other blog posts on the various types of shower screens on our website
or give us a call for any questions you may have on 42617295.